Bern Notice is a production of the Bernie 2020 campaign. Please forward this on to your friends and tell them to subscribe. The views expressed here are solely of the bylined author.
Polls show Bernie is the strongest general election candidate against Donald Trump, and show him winning key battleground states and demographics that often swing national elections. And now, more and more congressional Democrats are rightly laughing off last-minute attempts to erase this data and pretend Bernie would harm down-ballot Democrats in a general election.
WHAT DEMOCRATS ARE SAYING
• WASHPOST — PELOSI SAYS DEMS WILL WIN HOUSE WITH SANDERS: The Washington Post reports that “House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pushed back on a warning from Buttigieg during Tuesday night’s debate that making Sanders the Democratic nominee could lead to a Republican takeover of the House…Asked about the prospect of McCarthy taking the gavel if Sanders is on top of the Democratic ticket, Pelosi responded, ‘I think whoever our nominee is, we will enthusiastically embrace, and we will win the White House, the Senate and the House of Representatives.’”
• POLITICO — “SENATE DEMS AREN’T FREAKING OUT ABOUT BERNIE”: Politico reports that “Sanders is the clear frontrunner as the party heads into a potentially decisive March stretch for the Democratic primary. And that’s OK with many Senate Democrats.”
• CNN — SEN. MURPHY LAUDS “STRENGTH” OF BERNIE’S CANDIDACY: Connecticut Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy told CNN: “Bernie’s base of support — the enthusiasm behind him — I think speaks to the strength of his candidacy both in the primary but as a general election candidate as well.”
POLLING DATA SHOWS BERNIE’S STRENGTH
• BERNIE IS PARTICULARLY STRONG AMONG SWING VOTERS: Reuters’ poll shows Bernie doing — by far — the best against Trump among independent swing voters. A recent USA Today/Ipsos poll found that “suburban women, a key voting block that helped Democrats flip the House of Representatives in 2018, also favored Sanders.” Summarizing the data, pollster Peter Hart told NBC News: "There is one clear and inescapable set of results: Bernie Sanders is the definitive front-runner, and the current numbers do not represent his ceiling, but instead his base with room to grow.”
• BERNIE IS STRONGEST VERSUS TRUMP IN BATTLEGROUND POLL: A new Wisconsin State Journal poll finds Bernie leading in the Democratic primaries and in the general election in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania — the three previously Democratic states that helped deliver the election to Donald Trump. Bernie is leading Trump by the largest margins of any Democratic candidate in Michigan (+7) and Pennsylvania (+2), and also gets the largest amount of total support in Wisconsin (46%).
• BERNIE IS THE ONLY DEM AHEAD OF TRUMP IN PENNSYLVANIA: The Allentown Morning Call reports that “A new Morning Call/Muhlenberg College poll shows Trump doing better against potential Democratic rivals than he did in a similar poll three months earlier…Only Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders maintained a slight lead over the president in hypothetical matchups.”
• BERNIE IS THE STRONGEST AGAINST TRUMP IN VIRGINIA: A new Roanoke College poll shows Bernie leading Trump by nine points in the swing state of Virginia — the largest margin of any Democratic candidate.
• BERNIE IS THE STRONGEST AGAINST TRUMP IN FLORIDA: A recent Florida Atlantic University poll found Bernie leading Trump in Florida by the widest margin of any Democratic candidate.
• BERNIE IS STRONGEST AGAINST TRUMP IN TEXAS: Vanity Fair reports “A Texas Lyceum poll just this week showed Sanders performing better against Trump in Texas than any Democrat, losing by just three points. That’s on top of a raft of polls showing Sanders beating Trump back those precious Upper Midwest states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. These polls aren’t totally hypothetical, either: Sanders boasts near universal Name ID. Most voters know who Sanders is and what he stands for—and they’re still choosing him.”
Bern after reading,
P.S. Check out this CBS story reporting that “Republican Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina believes that among the field of Democratic presidential hopefuls, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders is the one who poses the ‘biggest threat’ to President Trump in November.”