Why do polls show voters most trust Bernie? Perhaps because he's gotten lots of stuff done in Congress, even with the odds stacked against him
|Nov 21|| 48|
Bern Notice is a production of the Bernie 2020 campaign. Please forward this on to your friends and tell them to subscribe. The views expressed here are solely of the bylined author.
Why have so many polls shown that voters see Bernie as the most trustworthy candidate? Perhaps because he’s not only been consistently pushing a working-class agenda for 40 years, but also — as a new video shows — because he’s defied the odds and gotten lots of things done, even when he’s been in the minority in Congress. Sometimes this record gets obscured in the media — but the facts speak for themselves.
During his career, Bernie flipped a GOP U.S. House seat blue, and then flipped a GOP Senate seat blue. Some of his biggest accomplishments include:
• BEING THE AMENDMENT KING: Politifact notes that as a member of the U.S. House, Bernie passed more roll call amendments than any other lawmaker in either party — even though Republicans controlled the House for most of his time in office.
• CHAMPIONING COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS: The Intercept notes that “in a series of high-stakes legislative maneuvers, Sanders struck a deal to include $11 billion for health clinics” in the Affordable Care Act.
• STOPPING PENSION CUTS: When IBM tried to slash pension benefits for thousands of workers, Bernie helped lead the fight against the move, ultimately forcing the company to back off many of the cuts.
• PASSING LANDMARK VETERANS HEALTH LEGISLATION: And as a Senate chairman, Bernie helped pass landmark legislation expanding health care services for veterans.
• AUDITING THE FED: After the financial crisis, Bernie spearheaded legislation mandating the first audit of the Federal Reserve. That audit for the first time exposed a stealth multitrillion-dollar bailout of financial institutions.
Watch the full video about some of these accomplishments here — and pass it on:
Bern after reading,