Bern Notice is a production of the Bernie 2020 campaign. Please forward this on to your friends and tell them to subscribe. The views expressed here are solely of the bylined author.
Bernie has now held events with a total of more than a quarter-million people — and today he’s in Iowa doing his 200th event of the 2020 campaign. A must-read Des Moines Register story reports on the campaign’s surging grassroots operation in the state. As one consultant on another campaign told the newspaper, on caucus night, Bernie’s intensifying Iowa ground game has the potential to be "a hell of an operation that other campaigns will be envious of."
Bernie’s Iowa campaign isn’t a flash in the pan — it has been steadily building momentum in the polls through grassroots organizing, major endorsements, local events and substantive television ads that focus on his working-class agenda:
• STRONG IOWA POLLING: In the last two months, polls from CBS News, the New York Times, the University of Iowa and Quinnipiac have shown Bernie either in a statistical tie for first place in Iowa, or in a strong second place position.
• IOWA GRASSROOTS ORGANIZING: The Des Moines Register notes that “Sanders supporters have knocked on 110,000 doors in Iowa, including 22,000 the weekend before Thanksgiving — and made 3 million voter contact attempts in the state.”
• MAJOR IOWA ENDORSEMENTS: Bernie was just endorsed by Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement — the largest progressive grassroots group in the state. He was also recently endorsed by Iowa Student Action. He has additionally been endorsed by Linn County Supervisor Stacey Walker, State Representative Jeff Kurtz and other elected officials. Bernie has also been endorsed by LULAC’s Nick Salazar, and the campaign recently rolled out 50 new combined endorsements from Latino leaders, farmers and rural activists across the state.
• BARNSTORMING THE STATE WITH LOCAL EVENTS: Bernie’s events in Iowa continue to generate huge crowds. His November rally in Council Bluffs with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio was the largest Iowa rally of any candidate in the 2020 campaign. His Iowa City rally with Stacey Walker drew more than 1,200 people. In all, Bernie has held 78 of his own events in Iowa, drawing more than 40,000 people to the events.
• STRONG IOWA MESSAGE CHALLENGING TRUMP’S CORRUPTION: Bernie’s campaign is being boosted by ads hammering home his core message that challenges Donald Trump, takes on the billionaire class and promotes an agenda to start making government work for America’s working-class. Among the ads have been one on Bernie’s plan to cancel medical debt, pass a Green New Deal, end Donald Trump’s corruption — and fix our broken economy. See the latter ad here:
Bern after reading,